Named Best In State by Paralegal EDU
Paralegal EDU is a website developed to serve as a dedicated resource for aspiring and existing Paralegals. Their mission is to help students in identify high quality programs available in their geographic area.
Metropolitan Community College’s Paralegal Program was chosen as the best in Missouri because it:
• Provides Valuable Field Experience in the Form of an Internship
• Provides Outstanding Career Assistance and Student Support Services
• Promotes Educational Excellence as a Member of the American Association for Paralegal Education (AAfPE)
“In just two years (64-67 credits), Metropolitan Community College will take you from student to practicing paralegal in a dynamic law environment. The AAS in Paralegal Practice here is also easily transferred to the University of Central Missouri Technology Management’s 2+2 Bachelor of Science program, if desired. There’s plenty of reasons why this program made our list of the top associate degree programs: a comprehensive course of study in contemporary legal topics, experienced instructors with years of law experience (many are practicing lawyers, judges, and paralegals), and an internship designed to round out your course of study and prepare you through a real-world law experience. This well-established program has a long history of producing competent paralegals who have achieved success in the field!”
Paralegals - also called legal assistants - are a part of an exciting field that gives opportunities for non-lawyers to perform many of the same tasks as lawyers. They assume a growing range of tasks in legal offices that can include:
- preparing for closings, hearings, trials and corporate meetings.
- investigating the facts of cases.
- identifying appropriate laws, judicial decisions and legal articles.
- preparing written reports for attorneys.
- helping prepare legal arguments, draft pleadings and motions to be filed with the court.
- obtaining affidavits.
- organizing and tracking files of case documents.
- drafting contracts, mortgages and separation agreements.
- assisting in preparing tax returns, establishing trust funds and planning estates.
- searching legal literature stored in computer databases and on CD-ROM.
In our well-established program, you'll get a combination of a broad knowledge of substantive and procedural law and the specific skills required to be a productive member of today's legal team. You'll learn legal research, legal writing and ethics. The program finishes with an internship class where you'll spend a semester actually working in the legal environment under the direct supervision of a lawyer.
Accreditation: American Association for Paralegal Education (AAfPE).