Services for Military Veterans

Enroll and get benefits

If you are a veteran, we honor and welcome you. You can visit a veterans office (located at one of the campus enrollment centers or financial aid offices) for personal help to certify benefits and get information. You may also contact the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs by calling 1.888.442.4551 or visiting their website.

If you are entitled to benefits under Chapter 30, 31, 33, or 1606, and not a dependent or spouse requesting benefits, please fill out the Request for VA Education Benefits form.

If you are a dependent or spouse of a veteran using Chapter 35 Dependent Educational Assistance benefits, please fill out the Request for VA Ch 35 Benefits form.

Steps to apply


Veteran's responsibilities

  1. Eligible veterans and dependents are responsible for notifying MCC of their intent to use VA educational benefits. Submit a Veterans Request for Benefits form to one of the campus enrollment centers or financial aid offices or email it from your secured MCC student email account to
  2. Enroll ONLY for courses that will apply to your degree program. Only courses that apply towards your declared program will be certified.
  3. You must immediately notify the Veterans Certifying Official when the below situations occur.
    Failure to do so may result in overpayment collection:
  4. Add or drop a class
  5. Change your degree program
  6. Change your address
  7. Withdraw from a class or college
  8. Change in dates of attendance
  9. If you do not make satisfactory academic progress you will be placed on warning, probation and/or an academic plan. There are specific requirements for satisfactory academic progress for veteran's benefits (PDF).
  10. Students receiving Chapter 30 and 1606 benefits are required to log onto the GI Bill® website and click on the verifying your attendance link, WAVE (Web Automated Verification of Enrollment) on the last day of each month to verify enrollment with the VA or call 877.823.2378. Monthly verification for Post 9/11 GI Bill is not required.

VA Contacts

Local VA Office Regional VA Office MCC VA Certifying Official
4801 Linwood Boulevard
Kansas City, MO 64128
Phone: 816.861.4700
TDD: 816.922.3328
P.O. Box 66830
St. Louis, MO 63166-6830
Phone: 1.888.442.4551


Accessing Your Benefits

As a veteran, you probably qualify for educational benefits that may pay for your tuition and even provide a housing allowance. Visit the VA website to get started with navigating what benefits are available. You may qualify for more than one type of educational benefit, and it may not be easy to decide which one is best for you. You may also want to discuss your plans with one of our campus financial aid specialists and with the education center on your post or base.

Other Helpful Links

  • If you are having trouble accessing your benefits or believe you have been wrongfully denied benefits by the VA, email for help from a VFW Veteran Services Officer. Individual filers with the VA have a 12% success rate in getting benefits in the first year. The VFW reports that with the help of a VSO the success rate jumps to 92%.
  • United Way 2-1-1 is a free, confidential, 24-hour information and referral service giving you access to resources in your community. You can get information from a Veteran Navigator by dialing 2-1-1 or by searching the resource database at the United Way Veterans Page.
  • The National Resource Directory provides links to many other programs and services that may be of help to veterans and their families.