MCC-Business & Technology
Cecil Davis, 816.604.5409
Degree and Certificates Awarded
Creating Opportunities: Meet Kendrick
Going to college can be life changing-- and in Kendrick's case that's 100% true. He went from Skid Row in Los Angeles to creating his own successful business with the help of MCC's HVAC program. Read Kendrick's success story.
Creating Opportunities: Meet Gamaliel
After years of struggling to find his way, Gamaliel Felix found his niche in the HVAC program at MCC-Business & Technology. In the span of a few years, he has gone from nearly quitting school to a rewarding career as an engineer at Centerpoint Medical Center. Read Gamaliel's success story.
You will work with the same equipment you'll use on the job while installing and maintaining the efficiency of climate control systems in residences and commercial settings. You also will work on furnaces, air conditioners, refrigeration units, heat pumps and boilers, develop a mind-set for safety at work and learn how to troubleshoot problems.
In addition, we offer a job-ready certificate that prepares you for residential work in as little as 15 weeks. Our advanced certificate includes commercial refrigeration, heat pumps and more. The associate's degree includes courses for transfer that you can use to transfer and pursue a bachelor's degree.
What You'll Learn
You will learn to install, service and maintain climate control systems, as well as mechanical, electrical and electronic components in heating and cooling equipment.
What You'll Do and Where You'll Work
You can work as an HVAC service technician, commercial refrigeration service technician, HVAC systems installer, salesperson or service manager. Our alumni have worked for Anthony Plumbing, Heating and Cooling, A.B. May, Climate Control Heating & Cooling and many more companies.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does it take to earn a certificate or degree?
- Job-Ready certificate -15 weeks
- HVAC certificate - approximately 1 year
- HVAC associate's degree - 2 years
How much does it cost?
MCC is a great value. Our tuition is one of the lowest in the area - about 1/3 that of public four-year schools and a tiny fraction of private colleges. We offer many ways to pay plus a tuition payment plan to make it even easier to afford college. Calculate your estimated tuition cost here.
Will my credits transfer to other colleges or universities?
Can the skills I've developed on the job count toward my certificate or degree?
Yes, you can test out of certain courses.
What does it take to succeed in this work?
Some of the personal characteristics needed for this career:
- Active learning: Always learning to stay on top of your field.
- Critical thinking: Ability to work smart.
- Dependability: Responsible, reliable and dependable to fulfill obligations.
- Integrity: Honest and ethical.
- Cooperation: Maintain a positive, pleasant attitude to work in a team environment.
- Attention to detail: Ability to focus and be thorough with details.
- Initiative: Willingness to take on tasks, responsibilities and challenges.
- Stress tolerance: Ability to accept criticism and being able to deal rationally with stressful situations.
- Independence: Ability to work with little or no supervision and depend on yourself to complete tasks.
- Persistence: Ability to stick with difficult job tasks in the face of adversity.
What are the advantages of taking classes at MCC?
MCC delivers the most cost-effective technical career preparation in Kansas City, MO. We are a publicly funded college with quality programs and full accreditation.
- State-of-the-art labs with the same equipment you'll use in the industry
- Heat pump lab including geothermal equipment
- New construction system installation trainer
- Fabrication lab
- High-tech classrooms with interactive whiteboards
- Nine instructors with 20+ years of experience each
- We are approved by North American Technician Excellence (NATE) and ESCO Institute, the leading certification programs for HVAC technicians.
- Our graduates are in demand by climate and refrigeration employers.
Still have quetions? Contact Program Coordinator Cecil Davis at 816.604.5409.