The Welding Program will move to MCC-Penn Valley's new Advanced Technical Skills Institute in January 2022. Learn more.
MCC-Business & Technology
Aaron Gibbs 816.604.5246
MCC-Business & Technology is certified as an American Welding Society training facility.
The American Welding Society (AWS) determines industry standards for welding and is recognized worldwide. The AWS Level I and Level II curriculum has been implemented in all welding classes. These changes will better prepare our students for AWS certification and expand their career prospects.
We teach shielded metal arc welding, MIG welding, TIG welding, pipe welding, flame cutting and plasma cutting. Your coursework will include interpreting blueprints, electrical fundamentals, welding metallurgy and American Welding Society electrode classifications.
You will use equipment and techniques used in the industry and build a foundation to enter the workforce. Our programs prepare students for AWS Level 1 and Level 2 certification.
Degree(s) and/or Certificate(s) Offered
MCC-Business & Technology offers three job ready certificates, an Associate in Applied Science in Welding and Management, as well as continuing education classes.
This Veteran took advantage of her opportunities at MCC's welding program while using a grant-funded initiative. Read Whitney's success story.
Gilbert Stallings was looking for a place he could call home. He found it in the MCC-Business & Technology welding program. Gilbert had a job lined up before finishing his degree and currently works at American Steel Works. Read Gilbert's success story.
What You'll Learn
You will learn to set up and operate welding equipment and to use manual welding and thermal-cutting equipment to weld or cut metal components.
What You'll Learn and Where You'll Work
You can work as a welder, fabricator, maintenance welder, MIG/TIG welder, inspector, manager, salesperson, engineer, pipefitter and much more. Our alumni work at construction companies, manufacturing companies, small businesses and maintenance companies.
Frequently Asked Questions
When can I begin classes?
Spring, Summer or Fall semester.
Will my credits transfer to other colleges or universities?
Yes, check with one of an Academic Advisor for more information.
How much does it cost?
MCC is a great value. Our tuition is one of the lowest in the area - about 1/3 that of public four-year schools and a tiny fraction of private colleges. We offer many ways to pay plus a tuition payment plan to make it even easier to afford college. Calculate your estimated tuition cost here.
Can the skills I've developed on the job count toward my certificate or degree?
Yes, you can test out of certain courses. We offer credit for select federally approved apprenticeship programs.
What does it take to succeed in this work?
Some of the personal characteristics needed for this career:
- Physical Ability: Must be able to climb, carry, bend and physically maneuver to complete work assignments.
- Attention to Detail: Job requires focus and thoroughness on details to complete work assignments.
- Dependability: Job requires responsible, reliable and dependable people to fulfill obligations.
- Self Control: Job requires individuals to be calm, focused and composed even in adverse situations. Must be able to control emotions, anger and aggressive behavior.
- Independence: Job requires working with little or no supervision. Individuals must depend on themselves to complete job tasks.
- Stress Tolerance: Job requires an ability to accept criticism and being able to deal rationally with stressful situations.
- Achievement/Effort: Job requires having drive and ambition to meet personally challenging goals and putting effort into mastering job task.
- Persistence: Job requires ability to stick with difficult job tasks in the face of adversity to fulfill work assignments.
- Cooperation: Job requires a positive, pleasant attitude in order to work in a team environment.
- Analytical Thinking: Job requires logic in analyzing work-related issues and problems.
Are there other advantages to the welding certificate and degree program?
- Welders are well rewarded for their knowledge, skill and experience.
- Skilled and knowledgeable welders are in high demand according to the U.S. Department of Labor.
- Many job openings stem from retirements within the field - welders enjoy stable employment.
- Experienced instructors bring real-world experience to the classroom
Which companies hire program graduates?
- Construction companies
- Fabrication and manufacturing companies
- Small businesses
Industrial welders work in a wide range of locations. A large number of welders travel about metropolitan areas servicing equipment at customer locations.
What are the advantages of taking classes at MCC?
You'll experience a very hands-on and interactive learning environment. Classes are small for personal instruction. You'll get dedicated instructors and excellent student services--all at an affordable cost.
- Our classes combine instructor-led and on-line learning with hands-on lab work.
- Industry professionals teach convenient evening classes.
- Employers love to hire our graduates.
Still have questions? Contact Aaron Gibbs 816.604.5246