Office hours: Monday thru Friday 8:00 am to 4:30 pm.
NOTE: Applications are only available during open application periods.
MCC takes pride in preparing quality nurses to serve our great community. The Practical Nursing program will not be enrolling new students for spring 2020 in order to make great changes to the program. Thank you for your patience as we work to improve our program. Stay tuned to this website for the next enrollment opportunity.
Related Degree Program:
Licensed practical nurses (LPNs) care for people who are sick, injured, convalescent or disabled under the direction of physicians and registered nurses. They provide basic bedside care, which can include:
- Function in the role of Charge Nurse providing supervision and delegation to CNAs in long term care settings
- Applies nursing skills, concepts, and judgment in selected clinical settings
- Performs a variety of basic procedures based on sound scientific evidence
- Starts and monitors select IV fluids to include fluids for hydration and antibiotics
- Monitors, measures and performs dressing changes for a variety of wounds
- Administers medication via a variety of different routes: oral, intradermal, subcutaneous, and intramuscular
- Coordinates care with other disciplines to revolve around a patient-centered approach
- Knowledge of and performance of activities of daily living to promote health maintenance and promotion
- Teaches the client and family skills and practices which can be used following discharge
- Administers palliative care and provides support and comfort to the client and family when death is the inevitable outcome
- Assist in the development of care plans and assuring compliance
- Potential for advancing to management in long term care or selected settings
In one year you will gain quick entry into the nursing field from an accredited practical nursing program and you'll receive hands-on experience and excellent instruction in our state-of-the-art Health Science Institute. In addition, you'll be prepared to take the National Council of State Boards of Licensure Examination for Practical Nurses (NCLEX-PN). Completing the program does not guarantee licensing from the State Board of Nursing. For additional information visit the Missouri State Board of Nursing website.
Conditionally approved by Missouri State Board of Nursing and accredited by Cognia (Formerly known as the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools). To send comments about the program to the Missouri State Board of Nursing, email Meske Desta or call 816.604.1000.