MCC Cares

What is MCC Cares?

Metropolitan Community College (MCC) cares about the health, safety and success of our students and campus community.

The MCC Cares initiative coordinates established resources, such as MCC's Behavioral Intervention Team (BIT), Counseling, Disability Support Services and MCC Police to respond to students in distress.

We are hopeful that a focus on caring for our students will help reduce the stigma often associated with making an MCC Cares referral. Students seeking assistance might find it helpful to speak with an MCC counselor.

What should I do?

If you are concerned about someone's behavior in the campus community, please submit a referral. Examples of the types of behaviors to refer include:

  • a sharp decline in academic performance
  • disruptive, destructive, aggressive or violent behavior
  • bullying, stalking, harassment or discrimination, including online
  • dramatic changes in mood, personality, appearance, behavior or weight
  • reports of abuse, domestic violence or sexual assault
  • disturbing or threatening comments in conversation, e-mail, letters, social media postings or written assignments/presentations
  • appearing under the influence of alcohol or drugs
  • self-harming behaviors, such as cutting or suicidal ideation or threats
  • paranoia
  • frequently angry/easily frustrated
  • any behavior that violates the MCC Student Code of Conduct

These behaviors, especially when more than one are present, may be signs that a student is in distress. There are many helpful resources available at MCC. Your referral can make a difference.

When there is a medical emergency or a person is an immediate threat to self or others, call MCC Police first at 816.604.1200.

How do I submit a referral?

If you have concerns about a student, submit a referral. Please be sure to include as much specific, objective information as you can. The referral form provides space to describe the behaviors of concern and to attach any supporting materials (photos, writings, etc.). If you have questions about making a referral, you can consult with your campus Dean of Student Development.

Frequently asked questions