Requesting a Tutor or Peer Mentor for the remainder of the Spring 2020 semester due to the COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak.
The Longview Student Success Center will conduct tutoring and mentoring appointments via a Zoom Stem Lab, a Zoom Writing Studio, and a Zoom Peer Mentoring room.
When you need assistance, please contact us at email firstname.lastname@example.org, and a staff member will work with you to schedule a tutoring or mentoring appointment. Students should make sure to use your student email address and include the type of tutoring or mentoring you are requesting in the email. If you have instructions from your faculty member, you may continue to use those.
MCC-Longview Student Success Summer hours are Monday - Thursday 9:30 am - 6 pm. Friday, Saturday and Sundays - Closed
Students who would like writing assistance can email their papers using their student email account to email@example.com and someone will respond to them within 48 hours. We ask that students use a Word file or PDF file when submitting writing assignments to us as well as assignment directions or an assignment sheet.
MCC-Longview Student Success Center
Tutor and Student Expectations
What You Can Expect from Us in Live Virtual Tutoring
- Answer academic questions and share learning skills and tools to the best of our ability.
- Respond as professionals to your requests and concerns.
- Connect you to other helpful resources on and off campus.
- Support you in your effort to achieve academic success.
What We Expect From You in Live Virtual Tutoring
- Be sure your computer is able to have reliable Internet access, accept Zoom meetings with audio and video capacities, and fully charged when utilizing our virtual services in order to have an optimal session. If you need any ADA accommodations, please allow us 24 hours to set that up for you.
- Come ready with questions and with any material from class, like class notes and/or writing assignment sheets, that would better help us assist you.
- Abide by MCC’s Student Code of Conduct while working with a tutor.
- Know that your video or other data from the session may be captured by Zoom due to the user agreements required by Zoom.
Academic Success Programs: Peer Tutoring and Mentoring
Our mission is to promote student learning, enhance the chances for student success, and contribute to student retention through academic support.
Academic Success Programs provides FREE services to students currently enrolled at MCC. Services are designed to support students as they pursue their academic goals and become independent learners. The services provided assist with:
- Improving study skills
- Increasing understanding of course content
- Enhancing self-confidence
- Encouraging positive attitudes toward learning
- Increasing self-motivation
- Encouraging self-discovery and resiliency
Academic Tutoring - Math, Writing, and Other Subjects
- Assistance with course content. Focused on understanding course material.
Academic Transition - Peer Mentoring
- Assistance with the transition to college from the workplace or high school. Focused on creating effective habits and study strategies.
Academic Intervention - Back on Track - Peer Mentoring
- Assistance with resiliency techniques and study strategies. Focused on balancing academic and personal goals.
Academic Workshops - Watch for announcements
- If you are a faculty member seeking an academic workshop, please contact Joe Barnhill at firstname.lastname@example.org.