The job outlook for careers in Cybersecurity and Information Technology continues to be very strong. Many experts predict a continued shortage of qualified professionals available to fill open positions in coming years. MCC-Blue River is the host to MCC’s Cybersecurity program and home to the Secure Systems Administration and Engineering AAS Degree. Built around stackable certificates mapped to industry certifications, this program helps students earn credentials more quickly, and offers credit by certification for students already holding credentials and wishing to complete a degree or certificate. This program prepares students to enter the in-demand Information Technology and Cybersecurity fields by offering a program that blends current system administration concepts with essential security skills and best practices necessary to deploy, administer, harden, and defend computer and network systems.
The National Security Agency and the Department of Homeland Security have designated Metropolitan Community College Kansas City as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense Two-Year Education (CAE2Y) through academic year 2023.
The NSA and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) jointly sponsor the National Centers of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense (CD) Education (CAE-CDE), Two-Year Education (CAE-2Y) and Research (CAE-R) programs. The goal of these programs is to reduce vulnerability in our national information infrastructure by promoting higher education and research in CD and producing a growing number of professionals with CD expertise in various disciplines.
Students attending CAE-CDE and CAE-R schools are eligible to apply for scholarships and grants through the Department of Defense Information Assurance Scholarship Program and the Federal Cyber Service Scholarship for Service Program.
For more information please visit the MCC Cybersecurity Center.
Degree and Certificates Awarded
The A.A.S. Secure Systems Administration and Engineering program has recently been revised. Please contact an advisor for further information about any of the revisions which include:
- 5 new courses including CSIS 119 Scripting Fundamentals, CSIS 261 Advanced Networking I, CSIS 262 Advanced Networking II, CSIS 280 Penetration Testing, and CSIS 281 Cyber Analytics.
- Several courses have new course numbers. Please see the documentation below for more information.
- A new Cybersecurity Certificate option has been added!
- A weekend cohort option for the program is now offered at the MCC-Penn Valley campus
- Certificate: Computer and User Support
- Certificate: Network and Systems Support
- Certificate: Secure Systems Administration and Engineering
- Certificate: Cybersecurity
Secure Systems Administration and Engineering Program Information
- Program Information (PDF)
- Curriculum Overview (PDF)
- Guide to New Course Numbers (PDF)
- Recommended Course Sequence (PDF)
- Sample 2 Year study plan (PDF)
- Weekend Cohort FAQs (PDF)