Degree(s) and/or Certificate(s)
Additional steps are required for acceptance into this program beyond the standard MCC admissions application. This is a four semester program that begins in August and accepts approximately 20 students per year.
Steps to Apply to the Occupational Therapy Assistant Program
- Complete all required prerequisite courses AND complete the required placement testing
- Download the information packet and application found under the quick links above and follow the directions carefully. Be sure to note all of the program requirements. This document contains all information regarding the program including prerequisites and other requirements for application.
- Apply for financial aid. The federal financial aid application (FAFSA) is also available online.
Program Application Deadline
You will be contacted via e-mail within two weeks of the application deadline to inform you of your status. You will be contacted via e-mail or phone to schedule an interview. Students accepted into the program will be expected to attend an orientation session in July.
The occupational therapy assistant program is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) of the American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA), located at 6116 Executive Boulevard, Suite 200, North Bethesda, MD 20852-4929. AOTA's telephone number c/o AOTA is 301.652.AOTA and website is acoteonline.org.
As a graduate, you'll be eligible to take the national certification exam, administered by the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT). You should know that you will not be able to obtain a license to practice or be allowed to participate in clinicals should you have an unacceptable background as defined by state law regarding health care providers. An unacceptable background includes a felony and/or class "A" misdemeanor conviction.
The total number of graduates for the 3 year period of 2018 - 2020 from the OTA program at Metropolitan Community College was 51 which is a graduation rate of 82%.
|Graduation Year||Students Entering/Graduating||Graduation Rate|
|Total 2018 - 2020
NBCOT Pass Results
Program results from the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT) can be found online at NBCOT.
Characteristics of a successful Occupational Therapy Assistant include but are not limited to:
- attentive to detail and thorough in task completion,
- open to changes and variety in a workplace,
- function well in high stress situations,
- work both as a team but with little supervision at times, stable temperament and caring.
Manual dexterity, bilateral control, mobility and critical thinking.