Employment is expected to grow faster than average. Job prospects should be very good. Technicians with a strong background in medical coding will be in particularly high demand.
Base salary and job outlook
- Median annual earnings: $28,030 in 2006. The middle 50% earned between $22,420 and $35,990.
- Demand: An additional 30,000 workers will be needed by 2016.
- Salary: Varies depending upon the type of job and responsibilities involved. Averages for salaries are between $20,000 and $30,000 for new graduates.
Possible job titles
- Health Data Analyst
- Insurance Claims Analyst
- Records Technician
- Clinical Coding Specialist/Physician Practice Manager
- Reimbursement Specialist
- Compliance Auditor
- Patient Information Coordinator
Where you can work
- Medical group practice
- Insurance companies
- Government agencies
- FBI (to investigate Medicare fraud and abuse)