Director of the Public Safety Training Institute:
Rusty Sullivan: 816.604.6700
Amanda Elliott: 816.604.6652
Degree and Certificates Awarded
To complete the application you will need your MCC Student ID Number and password. If you have difficulties with your application please call 816-604-6700. Please remember to use Chrome or Fire Fox.
- To apply to the Fire academy, you must be a current student. If not a current student click here to apply to MCC.
- Schedule an interview with the Public Safety Institute. Call 816-604-6700, email Amanda Elliott, or stop by our offices. We are located on the Blue River Campus in the Public Safety Building
- Request Official Transcripts
- Apply to the academy.
- Submit all required paperwork
- Document Requirements Checklist
- Physical Release Form
- Meet with Financial Aid
Fire Academy Requirements
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalency
- Possess a valid U.S. driver license
- Must complete placement test unless a college-level English course has been satisfactorily
completed. Students must place into the following areas or successfully complete the
required prerequisite courses prior to beginning the program:
- Reading - READ 100 or higher
- English - ENGL 101
- Any writing or reading deficiency must be remediated prior to Academy enrollment
NOTE: You must be 21 years of age to apply at some departments.
A one-semester, full-time day academy, offered in January and in August. The January Academy graduates in May and the August Academy graduates in December. The hours for the full-time Academies are Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
A two-semester, part-time academy, designed primarily for the working adult, offered once each year in January. Hours for the part-time academy are three nights per week from 5:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. and every other Saturday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
MCC-Blue River Public Safety Institute offers Fire Academy training that is recognized by the Missouri Department of Public Safety-Division of Fire Safety, which is accredited by the International Fire Service Accreditation Congress (IFSAC). Being affiliated with IFSAC offers our recruits employment eligibility across the United States since most of the states are IFSAC associated and reciprocally accept the firefighter training our graduates have accomplished. Academy/Certificate students have the option to continue the Associate Degree in Fire Science which is a Fire and Emergency Services Higher Education (FESHE) approved program.
We offer two day academies each year, one beginning in
Our Academy instructors are experienced firefighters who currently service or have served in Kansas City metropolitan area fire departments. This assures that our recruits receive effective, real-world training, which not only addresses current demands, but also remains visionary in planning optimal training for future needs in public safety areas.