MCC-Business & Technology
Susan Blaser, 816.604.5613
Detailed Program Information:
Steps to apply
- Apply to MCC: You MUST apply to MCC to submit an application for the program. You cannot begin the application process without your student ID. Apply now online.
- Personal Goals Statement: Please outline the reasons you want to pursue a certificate or degree in the program. This is to be a brief essay (maximum of two pages) about your professional goals and interests, what you see as the positive and negative aspects of a career as a lineworker and where you see yourself in five years.
- Resume: Indicate your education and work background, honors, memberships in organizations, service to the community outside of school-related activities and any other information you want the committee to consider.
- References: Applicants will enter the names and contact information (including email addresses) of two individuals in the online application. The system will prompt each person to submit the reference online where they will provide a professional recommendation on your behalf. References should be from an instructor/professor/teacher, manager or supervisor of a work/volunteer organization. NO recommendations should be obtained from family members, friends, etc. A second should be from a manager or supervisor of a work/volunteer organization. The recommendations may be obtained from family members, friends, etc. Make sure each reference is willing to submit this electronically, and inform him or her that they will be receiving an email from MCC requesting them to submit a reference for you online.
- Transcripts: Arrange to have one official copy of each transcript from every college, university
and high school that you have attended sent directly to MCC.
- Mail: MCC accepts official transcripts mailed directly from your school to the Student Data Center. Fill out a Transcript Request Form and give it to your former/current school to have an official transcript mailed to MCC.
- E-transcripts: MCC accepts electronic transcripts through an electronic exchange with both Parchment and the National Student Clearinghouse. MCC does not accept any form of emailed transcript. When ordering an electronic transcript to be sent to MCC through the National Student Clearinghouse, MCC prefers that you use the electronic exchange. This ensures that your transcript is sent to the right place. You can do this by choosing Student Data Center as the recipient of your transcript when ordering through the National Student Clearinghouse.
ACCUPLACER® Test: This test will assess your current skill level in reading, writing and mathematics and determine which courses in these areas you should start out in to help ensure student success. If you are currently in college or have attended in the past, you may not be required to take the test. ACT and SAT scores or dual credit can also be used in place of the test.
Students MUST place into the following areas of successfully complete the required prerequisite courses PRIOR to beginning the program:
- Reading – READ 100 or higher
- English – ENGL 101
- Math – MATH 103 or higher
Prerequisites for admission to the Lineman Program include:
- 1. General admission to Metropolitan Community College. Apply now
- 2. Completion of high school or equivalent
- 3. Take the ACCUPLACER® placement test at the MCC-Business & Technology library or any MCC campus testing
center. Visit the testing center website for dates and times and sample questions.
- Students must place into the following areas or successfully complete the required
prerequisite courses prior to beginning the program:
- Reading: READ 100 or higher
- English: ENGL 101
- Math: MATH 103 or higher
- Students must place into the following areas or successfully complete the required prerequisite courses prior to beginning the program:
The application process also consists of:
- Completion of the Lineman Program Application. Please use Chrome or Firefox as your browser.
- Current resume.
- Lineman interview.
- Signed, Release, Assumption of Risk and Indemnification Agreement.
To complete the application you will need your MCC Student ID Number and password. You will need to enter the "S" in the front of your student ID number.