Skip to main content MCC Crescent Shape Search RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram chevron pointing down


Military Veterans - Enroll and Get Benefits

If you are a veteran, we honor and welcome you. You can visit a veterans office (located at one of the campus enrollment centers or financial aid offices) for personal help to certify benefits and get information. You may also contact the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs by calling 1.888.442.4551 or visiting their website.

1. Applying for VA benefits

If you have never claimed benefits you must first complete an application with the Department of Veterans Affairs, you can apply for benefits on the VA website. Keep a copy of your application and confirmation page when you submit online. Veterans that are claiming benefits under Chapters 30, 33, or 1606 can submit a hard copy Application for VA Education Benefits (Form 22-1990).

If you are a spouse or dependent of a service member or veteran who has transferred all or some of their Post 9/11 GI Bill® to you, make sure it has been approved by the Department of Defense first. Then, complete Form 22-1990E. Additional information regarding the transfer of benefits can be found on the VA website.

Once the VA processes your application, they will send you a Certificate of Eligibility. The Certificate of Eligibility and most recent DD-214 (Member-4) are not required; however, it is helpful for MCC to have the documents on file.

If you have questions on what you qualify for and the differences between benefits, VA has information to help you in determining what benefit is best for you on their website. You can also call VA Education Services for additional assistance at 1.888.442.4551.

2. Apply to the college

Contact your previous college(s) or if this is your first time in college, contact your high school, to request official copies of your transcripts to be sent to the records office. Information about military transcripts and how to request transcripts is available at the following links:

Navy & Marine Corps (JST Transcript) for more information on requesting your military transcript.
Air Force (CCAF)

3. Apply for financial aid

Many Veteran Students are eligible for financial aid, including grants and scholarships. Most forms of financial aid do not affect your VA benefits. Complete an online Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to get started. MCC's school code is 002484

4. Register for classes and request enrollment certification to receive VA benefits

Contact an academic advisor at your campus for assistance in creating an academic plan and choosing courses. Once you are registered, complete the Veteran's Request for Benefits Form and submit it to one of the campus enrollment centers or financial aid offices or email it from your secured MCC student email account to This is your way of notifying MCC that you are enrolled and ready to be certified. You can submit your request up to 60 days before the start of the term.

Be advised: Since we have eight-week terms, and mini-term courses, you should be alert to the fact that the beginning and end dates of each individual course will affect the amount of money the VA will send you for the month. The Department of Veteran Affairs will treat each course you are enrolled in as a separate unit with its own beginning and end date. We will report these dates to the VA so that they can determine your monthly payment according to their regulations.

When a course ends, it is no longer counted by the VA as part of your enrollment, regardless of which semester it is assigned to.

5. Pay for classes

It is every student's responsibility to ensure that their student account is current and paid in full by the payment deadline each term. Each student's level of benefits is unique and the VA may not cover all of the term's fees. Options for payment may include Federal student aid and/or the MCC payment plan.

Veteran's Responsibilities

  1. Eligible veterans and dependents are responsible for notifying MCC of their intent to use VA educational benefits. Submit a Veteran's Request for Benefits form to one of the campus enrollment centers or financial aid offices or email it from your secured MCC student email account to
  2. Enroll ONLY for courses that will apply to your degree program. Only courses that apply towards your declared program will be certified.
  3. You must immediately notify the Veteran's Certifying Official when the below situations occur.
    Failure to do so may result in overpayment collection:
    1. Add or drop a class
    2. Change your degree program
    3. Change your address
    4. Withdraw from a class or college
    5. Change in dates of attendance
  4. If you do not make satisfactory academic progress you will be placed on warning, probation, and/or an academic plan.
  5. Students receiving Chapter 30 and 1606 benefits are required to log onto the GI Bill® website and click on the verifying your attendance link, WAVE (Web Automated Verification of Enrollment) on the last day of each month to verify enrollment with the VA or call 1-877-823-2378. Monthly verification for Post 9/11 GI Bill® is not required. 

VA Contacts

Local VA Office Regional VA Office MCC VA Certifying Official

4801 Linwood Boulevard
Kansas City, MO 64128
Phone: 816.861.4700
TDD: 816.922.3328

P.O. Box 66830
St. Louis, MO 63166-6830
Phone: 1.888.442.4551 
Phone: 816.604.1561