Skip to main content MCC Crescent Shape Search RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram chevron pointing down

Dual Credit Frequently Asked Questions

 What is the difference between dual credit, dual enrollment and advanced placement courses?

Dual Credit -- Students enrolled in dual credit courses offered by one of the Metropolitan Community College campuses earn actual college credit by successfully completing these courses at their high school. Courses are half the cost of regular MCC tuition.

Dual Enrollment -- Students enrolled in dual enrollment courses offered by one of the Metropolitan Community College campuses earn college credit and high school credit while completing these on an MCC campus. Courses are half the cost of regular MCC tuition.

Advanced Placement -- Courses are special sections of high school courses designated by the high school to prepare students for national Advanced Placement tests. Students may earn college credits for these courses that are recognized at colleges and universities across the country based upon their scores on these tests. Generally, students must earn scores of at least 3 and often higher, (on a scale of 1 to 5) on these national exams to earn college credit.

What dual credit courses are usually offered?

MCC offers a full-range of lower-division general education courses as dual credit including introductory college-level courses in English composition, speech, foreign language, history, psychology, sociology, math, biology, chemistry, and physics. In some cases, technical and career courses in fields such as business, computer science, drafting, automotive, and child growth and development might also be offered as dual credit courses.

How are dual credit final grades recorded?

Final grades for dual credit courses will be reflected on both the student’s high school transcript and on the student’s permanent college record. Final dual credit grade may differ from high school grade per course policy. The high school counselor is able to provide more information on high school credit details.

Can I receive financial aid?

Federal financial aid can only be awarded to students who have earned a valid high school diploma or high school equivalency credential. Therefore, dual credit students cannot access financial aid while concurrently enrolled. However, many high schools have programs for qualifying students to cover cost of tuition.

Can my parents access my MCC records?

As a college student, your records are private. You can allow anyone you select to access your student records by completing a Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) form.