The training series includes a reflective workbook and guided tips for completing assignments, is user-friendly and results in a 90% completion rate of Business Plans and Parent Handbooks. Constructive feedback and evaluation support are available for your business plan and parent handbook.
In partnership with First Step Fund, the Francis Institute was instrumental in the development of the program and has assisted in delivering the program since its inception in 1996. More than 149 sites are certified to teach Developing Your Family Child Care Business or Desarrollando Su Negocio Cuidando a Niños en el Hogar programs. More than 1,800 individuals participated in this comprehensive training program.
Who Utilizes this Curriculum?
- Microenterprise Organizations
- Small Business Development Centers
- Economic and Community Development Agencies
- Women and Minority Business Centers
- Universities and Colleges
- Child Care Resource and Referral Agencies
Developing Your Family Child Care Business Program Outline
- Distinguish among the roles played by a family child care business owner.
- Write and evaluate a business concept statement.
- Identify critical personnel and resource team solutions.
- Choose an appropriate legal structure.
- Identify family child care business features and benefits.
- Determine governmental and professional licensing requirements.
- Profile the local child care industry and identify trends.
- Define target market.
- Determine the business' direct, indirect, and future competition and its distinctive services.
- Identify market advantages/disadvantages related to the business location.
- Develop promotional strategies.
- Begin the process of pricing services.
- Identify costs associated with running a family child care business.
- Learn to use basic accounting tools such as cash flow statement, income statement, and balance sheet.
- Project income based on pricing.
- Set policies for operating the child care business.
- Consider entrepreneurial oversight to improve the business.
- Complete the Business Plan and Parent Handbook.
- Presentation of Executive Summary