The Metropolitan Community College Foundation was founded in 1975. The Foundation supports the mission of MCC: Preparing Students, Serving Communities, Creating Opportunities.
As the nonprofit, fundraising arm of MCC, the Foundation serves over 43,000 students annually by addressing their financial and educational needs through scholarships, educational enhancement programs and the improvement of learning facilities.
For the district, the Foundation administers 174 scholarships and endowments, sponsors alumni and donor recognition events, and leads the annual Capital Campaign. Our Board of Directors participates in planning, volunteering and administration as well as maintaining relationships with the greater community. The Foundation is committed to forming partnerships that make Metropolitan Community College the first choice for higher education in greater Kansas City.
Although the Metropolitan Community College District was established in 1964, its roots originate with the Junior College Division of the Kansas City Polytechnic Institute founded in 1915. Just four years later, this division and the Business Training, Engineering and Nurses Training divisions were combined to become the Junior College of Kansas City. By 1921, the Junior College added evening classes. Following World War II, the college expanded its academic offerings to include various kinds of occupational training. It also began attracting more and more students from outlying communities beyond Kansas City, Missouri.
Until 1964, the college was part of the Kansas City School District. Just five years after formation of the MCC District, Longview, Maple Woods and Penn Valley opened to replace the single institution known as the Metropolitan Junior College. There are now five campuses comprising the MCC District MCC-Blue River, MCC-Longview, MCC-Maple Woods, MCC-Penn Valley and the MCC-Business and Technology.