In Case of Emergency: Dial 911
MCC Police Department
Campus Phone: 1200
Other Phone: 816.604.1200
City Police Department: 911
Fire Department: 911
Environmental Health & Safety
SDS for Emergencies contact
604.1124 or 604.1370
NOTE: Respiratory protection should not be worn during any spill cleanup. If respiratory protection is required, then MCC will contract the cleanup.
- All response procedures shall be performed with the buddy system. Put on the appropriate
personnel protective equipment (PPE). Always check PPE for tears or damage before
Safety glasses: Mandatory for all blood clean-up
Gloves: Mandatory for all blood clean-up.
Face mask: Mandatory for all blood clean-up.
- If any sharp objects or broken glass is contaminated with blood or biohazards, remove objects with tongs or dust pan and place in a ridged sealable container/sturdy cardboard box. Tape container closed and place in the trash.
- For a pooled spill, place absorbent powder on blood. All liquid material should be completely absorbed into powder. For a smaller spill proceed to Step 5.
- Remove powder with dust pan and broom and place in trash bag.
- Spray a Disinfectant solution (1 part bleach to 10 parts water or registered EPA disinfectant ie. Aura HB, Virex TB, Crew NA) on contaminated area, let stand for several minutes and wipe clean with either: paper towel, disposable mop/sponge, reusable mop, or extraction device (if carpet or furniture is involved). When transporting contaminated mops from one place to another, place the mop head in a trash bag.
- While still dressed in PPE, decontaminate any reusable equipment by placing in a bucket of disinfectant solution and allowing it to soak. This can be done away from the spill location. Dump waste water down sanitary drain.
- Place all disposable clean-up materials in trash bag.
- Remove PPE with caution, making sure gloves are removed last. Dispose of into trash bag and double bag all waste. Place waste in regular trash.
- Wash hands and notify your Supervisor of the clean-up.
- Supervisors should replace any disposable equipment after each clean-up.