Metropolitan Community College is dedicated to serving the educational needs of the community. The college programs are intended to help students understand themselves, the society of which they are a part and the universe in which they live.
At the same time, MCC provides opportunities for students to develop occupational skills. Faculty and administrators cooperate to create an environment that stimulates intellectual growth and nurtures academic freedom for students and instructors alike. The programs offered are intended to encourage lifelong learning.
Finally, the MCC employees are committed to providing equal opportunity for all persons regardless of age, creed, race or gender.
Preparing students, serving communities, creating opportunities.
In order to accomplish this mission, the board of trustees has empowered the chancellor, as executive officer, to implement its policies. The chancellor, with the other officers of the District, will provide leadership in the implementation of the mission and goals of the District.
Learning is the focus of everything we do at Metropolitan Community College. Student learning is central to our mission; employee learning is key to our strength; and organizational learning is the foundation for innovation and growth. Learning is a lifelong process. Learners are whole persons with intellectual, physical, emotional, spiritual, social, ethical, vocational, and economic dimensions. As learners, as facilitators of learning, and as an organization, we accept responsibility to:
- Manage learning and commit the time and energy that meaningful learning requires.
- Encourage free, open, and respectful exchange of ideas as a natural part of change.
- Synthesize tradition and innovation in order to enhance academic achievement.
- Design and implement structures and processes that promote learning.
- Draw on diversity to influence and inform learning.
- Engage in continuous assessment, reflection, and adaptation.
- Create a physical, social, and intellectual environment that supports learning.
- Build partnerships that promote individual, institutional, and community betterment.
In pursuit of MCC's mission, the District will:
- Provide courses and associate degree programs that prepare students to transfer to four-year colleges and universities to complete bachelor's degrees.
- Provide courses, certificates and associate degree programs to prepare students to enter the work force in skilled jobs and careers.
- Provide courses, certificates and associate degree programs to assist adult workers to upgrade their job skills, change careers, or advance in their careers.
- Provide instruction in core academic skills that prepare students to succeed in college-level courses and programs.
- Provide student development and support services to assist students to achieve their academic, career and personal goals.
- Provide and support activities to enhance student learning outside the classroom.
- Provide a range of services and accommodations to help all prospective students overcome barriers to access college programs and opportunities
- Provide courses and other educational and cultural activities to enrich the lives of members of the community.
- Provide business support services and other training and assistance to support the economic development of the community.
- Collaborate with other educational institutions, community-based organizations, agencies, businesses and industries to meet the needs of the community.