In Case of Emergency: Dial 911
MCC Police Department
Campus Phone: 1200
Other Phone: 816.604.1200
City Police Department: 911
Fire Department: 911
Environmental Health & Safety
SDS for Emergencies contact
604.1124 or 604.1370
HAZMAT Response: 800.229.5252
NOTE: Respiratory protection should not be worn during any spill cleanup. If respiratory
protection is required, then MCC will contract the cleanup.
In the event of a spill which:
- involves the release of a type or quantity of a chemical that poses an immediate risk
- involves radiation; or
- involves an uncontrolled fire or explosion.
Evacuate the building by activating the nearest fire alarm.
Call 911 and MCC police at 816.604.1200.
- Give details of the accident, including location, types of hazardous materials involved
and whether there is personal injury.
- Identify an incident commander (IC). Assist in the evacuation of the building and
secure the area.
- Notify facilities to shut off all HVAC to building.
- Notify MCC Risk & Compliance Manager at 816-604-1124. (She will contact HAZMAT Response,
Inc. If she is not available, then the IC can contact HAZMAT Response at 1-800-229-5252.)
- Contact the local response and set up a meeting area or command post. Share information
about the incident.
- Contact the campus administrator about the incident.
If the accident involves personal injury or chemical contamination, follow the above
steps as appropriate and at the same time:
- Move the victim from the immediate area of fire, explosion, or spill (if this can
be done without further injury to the victim or you). Using PPE to limit the rescuers
possibility of being contaminated with the same material.
- Locate nearest emergency eyewash or safety shower. Remove any contaminated clothing
from the victim and flush all areas of the body contacted by chemicals with copious
amounts of water for fifteen (15) minutes.
- Shut off all HVAC to building.
- Access the MCC chemical inventory and print off what materials are in the building
in that area and in adjoining areas/rooms.