Keynote and Workshop Speakers
All keynote and workshop speakers have proven expertise skills in the area of higher education, and proven service to the communities with which they have been involved. Our speakers will provide relevant and practical information on strategies for participants to implement and use as we address issues of access, persistence and completion on our respective campuses.
Dr. Tyrone Bledsoe is the founder of Student African American Brotherhood (SAAB), a national organization established to enhance the experiences of and instill a “spirit of care” in African American males in high schools, colleges and universities around the country. Dr. Bledsoe served as Vice President for Student Life and Special Assistant to the President at The University of Toledo as well as various other positions for institutions of higher education.
After leaving the position of Vice President for Student Life and Special Assistant to the President at The University of Toledo, he transitioned to the role of Executive Director of the SAAB National Headquarters.
Dr. Tyrone Bledsoe resides in Toledo, Ohio. He was born and raised in Grenada, Mississippi. He received his Bachelor of Arts Degree and Master’s of Education degree from Mississippi State University. He earned his Ph.D. in Counseling and Student Affairs Administration from the University of Georgia; and was chosen as the Outstanding Doctoral Student in the State of Georgia and was most recently recognized as the Outstanding Doctoral Alumnus by the University of Georgia. He is a member of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. and is very active in the arena of higher education. Dr. Bledsoe is highly recognized by several professional associations for his research, publications, presentations and scholarly work.
- He is a contributing author to “African American Men in College”, Jossey-Bass Publisher.
- In 1999, Dr. Bledsoe was invited to Oxford, England to serve as a guest lecturer to discuss his work with African American males at the Oxford University Roundtable Institute, which is sponsored by the British Council.
- Dr. Bledsoe was invited to join an international research team to address issues around men of color in Europe, Trinidad, Barbados and the Bahamas.
- Has appeared on talk shows such as “Perfect Union” hosted by Congressman Jesse Jackson, Jr. to discuss his work involving African American and Latino Males. He is deemed as one of the most gifted and dynamic motivational speakers by the thousands who have heard him speak.
- Chosen as one of the most outstanding social innovators in the world by the Ashoka International Organization. He is a very spiritual and thought-provoking lecturer.
- Most importantly to him, he is the father of three adult sons, Tyrone Jr., Exon and Ronnie.
Note: Due to the abnormal schedule of legislative session, Congressman Cleaver is tentatively scheduled to appear. If congress is in session he may not be able to attend and a designee from his respective office will be in attendance.