Developing Your Family Child Care Business™programs (both in English and Spanish), are now being used by partners representing
a variety of organizations including:
Who Utilizes this Curriculum?
- Microenterprise Organizations
- Small Business Development Centers
- Economic and Community Development Agencies
- Women and Minority Business Centers
- Universities and Colleges
- Child Care Resource and Referral Agencies
Developing Your Family Child Care Business™ Program Outline
(Click on each module to view description)
- Distinguish among the roles played by a family child care business owner.
- Write and evaluate a business concept statement.
- Identify critical personnel and resource team solutions.
- Choose an appropriate legal structure.
- Identify family child care business features and benefits.
- Determine governmental and professional licensing requirements.
- Profile the local child care industry and identify trends.
- Define target market.
- Determine the business' direct, indirect, and future competition and its distinctive services.
- Identify market advantages/disadvantages related to the business location.
- Develop promotional strategies.
- Begin the process of pricing services.
- Identify costs associated with running a family child care business.
- Learn to use basic accounting tools such as cash flow statement, income statement, and balance sheet.
- Project income based on pricing.
- Set policies for operating the child care business.
- Consider entrepreneurial oversight to improve the business.
- Complete the Business Plan and Parent Handbook.
- Presentation of Executive Summary