In Dating Relationships, I Have the Right:
- To always be treated with respect.
- To be in a healthy relationship.
- To not be physically, sexually or emotionally abused.
- To enjoy friends and activities apart from my romantic partner.
- To express myself honestly.
- To recognize my culture and identities.
- To determine my values and set limits.
- To decide what I share and with whom.
- To say no.
- To feel safe.
- To be treated as an equal.
- To feel comfortable being myself.
- To leave or stay.
In Dating Relationships, I Have the Responsibility:
- To communicate my values and limits.
- To respect my romantic partner’s limits, values, feelings and privacy.
- To accept my romantic partner’s culture and identities.
- To not physically, sexually or emotionally abuse.
- To listen.
- To be considerate.
- To communicate clearly, honestly and respectfully.
- To give my romantic partner space to enjoy activities and friendships outside of our relationship.
- To not exert power or control in relationships.
- To compromise when needed.
- To admit to being wrong when appropriate.
- To ask for help from friends, family and mentors.
Content adapted from the following sources:
- Counseling & Mental Health Center at The University of Texas at Austin.