Welding Frequently Asked Questions
When can I begin classes?Spring, Summer or Fall semester.
How much does it cost?
MCC is a great value. Our tuition is one of the lowest in the area - about 1/3 that of public four-year schools and a tiny fraction of private colleges. We offer many ways to pay plus a tuition payment plan to make it even easier to afford college.
Will my credits transfer to other colleges or universities?
Yes, check with one of an Academic Advisor for more information.
Can the skills I've developed on the job count toward my certificate or degree?Yes, you can test out of certain courses. We offer credit for select federally approved apprenticeship programs.
What does it take to succeed in this work?Some of the personal characteristics needed for this career:
- Physical Ability: Must be able to climb, carry, bend and physically maneuver to complete work assignments.
- Attention to Detail: Job requires focus and thoroughness on details to complete work assignments.
- Dependability: Job requires responsible, reliable and dependable people to fulfill obligations.
- Self Control: Job requires individuals to be calm, focused and composed even in adverse situations. Must be able to control emotions, anger and aggressive behavior.
- Independence: Job requires working with little or no supervision. Individuals must depend on themselves to complete job tasks.
- Stress Tolerance: Job requires an ability to accept criticism and being able to deal rationally with stressful situations.
- Achievement/Effort: Job requires having drive and ambition to meet personally challenging goals and putting effort into mastering job task.
- Persistence: Job requires ability to stick with difficult job tasks in the face of adversity to fulfill work assignments.
- Cooperation: Job requires a positive, pleasant attitude in order to work in a team environment.
- Analytical Thinking: Job requires logic in analyzing work-related issues and problems.
What are the advantages of taking classes at MCC?MCC delivers the most cost-effective technical career preparation in Kansas City, MO. We are a publicly funded college with quality programs and full accreditation.
- Our classes combine instructor-led learning with hands-on lab work.
- Industry professionals teach convenient evening classes.
- Employers love to hire our graduates.
Which companies hire program graduates?
- Construction companies
- Fabrication and manufacturing companies
- Small businesses
Industrial welders work in a wide range of locations. A large number of welders travel about metropolitan areas servicing equipment at customer locations.
Are there other benefits or advantages to the welding certificate program?
- Welders are well rewarded for their knowledge, skill and experience.
- Skilled and knowledgeable welders are in high demand according to the U.S. Department of Labor.
- Many job openings stem from retirements within the field - welders enjoy stable employment.
- Experienced instructors bring real-world experience to the classroom