Frequently Asked Questions
How long does it take to earn a certificate or degree?It depends on your time, drive and desire. The four courses for the first level of certification, CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate), must be taken in sequence. The next level, CCNP (Cisco Certified Network Professional), courses can be taken in any order. The certification program is ideal for those who want to work and prepare for their networking career by attending college part-time.
- After taking the four CCNA courses, most students will be ready for the certification exam in 32 weeks (two semesters).
- In another 32 weeks you'll be ready for the more advanced CCNP certification exam.
- The class that prepares you for the security certification exam (IINS Implementing Cisco IOS Network Security) takes 16 weeks. The security class can be taken at the same time as the CCNP courses.
How much does it cost?
MCC is a great value. Our tuition is one of the lowest in the area - about 1/3 that of public four-year schools and a tiny fraction of private colleges. We offer many ways to pay plus a tuition payment plan to make it even easier to afford college.
Calculate your estimated cost here.
Will these classes prepare me for a certification exam?
Yes. After completing the four CCNA courses, you will be prepared to take the CCNA (640-802) exam. Each CCNP course prepares you for a CCNP exam. The security course prepares you for the 640-553 IINS exam. All certification exams can be taken at MCC-Business & Technology.
Will my credits transfer to other colleges or universities?
We have a transfer agreement with the University of Central Missouri. Check with an Academic Advisor for more transfer information.
When are courses offered?
CCNA classes are offered every fall, spring and summer semester. Check the current class schedule for CCNP and CCNA Security classes.
Can the skills I've developed on the job count toward my certificate or degree?Yes, you can test out of certain courses.
Do I have to take the first course?If you think you already have the knowledge for the first class, you may test out of it. To do so you'll need to pass the first semester written and skill finals (Hint: Know your subnetting!). The cost for taking these tests is one half the normal tuition cost, whether you pass or fail.
Which companies hire program graduates?Networking technicians work in a wide range of locations. Many maintain networks in factories and businesses large and small. Some network technicians travel around the metropolitan areas servicing equipment at customer locations.
Program graduates work with a wide variety of companies in the region including the City of Kansas City, Alexander Open Systems, Sprint, AT&T, DST, and Cerner.
What does it take to succeed in this work?Some of the personal characteristics needed for this career:
- Achievement/effort: Drive and ambition to meet personally challenging goals and put effort into mastering job tasks.
- Adaptability/flexibility: Able to cope with sudden, rapid changes with work and scheduling.
- Attention to detail: Ability to focus and thoroughness on details to complete work assignments.
- Analytical thinking: Responsible, reliable and dependable to fulfill obligations.
- Cooperation: Positive, pleasant attitude in order to work in a team environment.
- Dependabilty: Responsible, reliable and dependable people to fulfill obligations.
- Integrity: Honest and ethical.
- Initiative: Willingness to take on tasks, responsibilities and challenges.
- Persistence: Ability to stick with difficult job tasks in the face of adversity to fulfill work assignments.
- Self Control: Ability to be calm, focused and composed even in adverse situations. Must be able to control emotions, anger and aggressive behavior.
- Stress Tolerance: Ability to accept criticism and being able to deal rationally with stressful situations.
What are the advantages of taking classes at MCC?MCC delivers the most cost-effective technical career preparation in Kansas City, MO. We are a publicly funded college with quality programs and full accreditation.
- Our classes combine instructor-led and on-line learning with hands-on lab work.
- We have state-of-the-art labs with the same equipment you'll find in industry.
- Industry-experienced professionals teach convenient day and evening classes.
- Our graduates are in demand.