A Proud Past

Request Information. Visit a Campus.

 

Our History

1915

The roots of MCC go back the Kansas City Polytechnic Institute, which opened its doors in downtown Kansas City. 234 students enrolled.

1919

The Institute became the Junior College of Kansas City and was the first two-year college in the United States to award the associate's degree.

1964

Voters in suburban school districts joined with the Kansas City School District to create the Metropolitan Community Colleges District.

1969

Three colleges - Longview, Maple Woods, and Penn Valley - were opened.

1997

Blue River Community College in Independence was established, consolidating Blue Springs and Independence campuses.

2002

The campus created in 1995 to deliver business services and technical skills becomes the Business & Technology College.

2005

Five colleges became one: Metropolitan Community College.

Last Modified: 11/3/11